Health Promoting Schools 2018/2019
We are delighted to announce our school has been awarded recognition as a ‘Health Promoting School’. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the parents, staff and pupils who assisted in the programme and gave their time, ideas and skills to help us achieve this award.
We had lots of fun along the way and we have lots more planned for the coming year ahead!
Some activities we participated in during the year…
- We updated our Healthy Eating Policy with a clearer colour coded chart which assists both parents and pupils when making lunches.
- Our Healthy Eating Committee monitored lunches weekly, distributing prizes and stickers to the most colourful lunches.
- We collaborated with GMIT undergraduate students in Nutrition and Health. GMIT students visited our school and taught us all about healthy eating and the benefits it has to our mind and body.
- NUIG Health Promotion Department visited 5th class pupils and gave some really informative seminars on all aspects of health.
- We ran a ‘Health Promotion Week’ where we launched our new policy and made some ‘cool’ smoothies and juices in our classrooms. We came up with lots of interesting recipes and tasted some interesting combinations!
- In January 2020 our school will participate in the ‘Food Dudes’ programme
Our aim for the 2018/2019 school year was to improve our school lunches and create awareness around the importance of eating for health. This year we hope to continue to pack healthy and interesting lunches and will work on goals to increase awareness on mental health and wellbeing amongst our pupils.
Stay tuned for more updates on Health Promotion in Scoil Chaitriona Senior